Saturday, November 10, 2007

Emerson's Birth Story

I had a doctor appointment on Tuesday, October 30th at 3:30 pm. Dr. Dyksterhouse "checked" me and it was determined I had dilated to 2 cm (was 1 cm for about 3 weeks). I told him that my baby was "willing me" to have her that week, so I ended up talking him into inducing me--I was to check into the hospital on Thursday night at midnight (really Nov 2). I left his office excited beyond anything and called Jesse right away and told him we're having a baby on Friday!

We had dinner with Tom and Paula on Thursday night. After dinner, we drove down to Milwaukee and dropped Elliot off at Colleen's house (mother in law). We got home at about 11:00 pm--just enough time for me to check my work e-mail one more time, activate my out of office, check voicemail and make sure my bags were good to go.

Jesse and I left the house at about 11:30 pm--hospital, here we come!

We arrived at the hospital right at midnight and they were able to check me in right away. We were escorted to our room (room 244)--it was a really nice birthing suite--large! I changed into my gown and Jesse got comfy in his "bed" (a converted couch). My nurse (can't remember her name) got me started on a 1/4 dose of Cytotek (at about 12:15) and then I had all the fun medical questions to answer. We got done at about 12:45 and I attempted to get some sleep-yeah right. I slept, but it was more like I was awake and kinda dozing. The nurse came in at about 3:00 am and inserted another dose (1/2) of Cytotek. She also checked me and I was still only 2 cm. I did end up sleeping after that and got up at 6:00 am--and didn't go back to sleep after that.

7:00 am brought a shift change and a new nurse--this one was Amy--the same nurse I had with Elliot! She rocked. I loved her then and still do-she was great! I almost miss her and kinda wish we could hang out! LOL

At 8:00 am Dr. Dyksterhouse broke my water. This was interesting. He raised my bed so I was almost touching the ceiling and put that stick thingy inside--and then there was a gush. Jesse was across the room eating his breakfast (punk) and swore someone broke a water balloon. The fluid got all over the doc--it was kinda amusing. He said there was a lot of fluid, so perhaps the baby would be smaller than what was anticipated.

At 8:15 I got up and started walking the halls with Jesse. I did tell Jesse that I was planning on having the baby before noon. We did a bunch of rounds and visited the nursery a few times. Finally at about 9:15 I started feeling the contractions. They were all going right to my back--the same spot I had issues with the entire pregnancy. At about 9:45 ish I told Amy I was ready for the epidural. I went back to my room, she checked me and I was only 3 cm--but the anesthesiologist came in right away and hooked me up. Dr. Gehring is my hero. Epidurals kick butt--I HIGHLY recommend them. Along with the epidural, they also started me on a low dose of Pitocin--I wasn't expecting to get that, but oh well.

I was feeling great--barely feeling a contraction, it was FABULOUS! I guess I was contracting pretty frequently, beats me, though. LOL

Amy checked me at about 11:00 and I was 5 cm--moving right along! Amy suggested we do the "side to side" technique--so onto my right side I rolled. I stayed there for about 15 minutes and felt a twinge of pressure-not really anything to be freaked out about, though. After 15 minutes, I rolled onto my back again so she could check me-I was 7 cm!

I then rolled onto my left side and in walked Dr. D. We (me, Dr. D, Amy and Jesse) were having a pretty in depth conversation about universal healthcare, malpractice, doc's salary's and all of a sudden I started feeling some major pressure. Dr. D asked that I roll back onto my back and he would check me--the pressure was not letting up. Dr. D checked and there was the head--I was ready to go!

I REALLY felt the need to push and kept saying "I need to push". Dr. D kept saying to not because they weren't ready yet. Dr. D and Amy quickly got set up and within about 2 minutes I was ready to push. I could barely feel the contraction, but felt it enough that I pushed about 3 times through one contraction. Waiting for the next contraction, I heard Dr. D singing Blue Collar Man by Styx--I love that man! I started feeling another contraction and pushed 2 times--and then I felt her head come out. What a relief! He asked me to stop pushing and out came the shoulders and the rest of her. I pushed no more than 5 minutes!

I was in such shock in went so fast, I almost didn't hear Jesse go "It's a girl!". Jesse cut the cord and they put the baby up on my belly-she was beautiful! About 10 minutes later, Dr. D. was done doing what he needed to do and he walked out of the room before noon--right on time for his lunch appointment!

They continued the Pitocin (actually gave me the rest of the bag) to alleviate any cramping there I was watching the nurse asses my little girl. She scored a 9 on both Apgar's and was simply perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Jesse! What a wonderful birth story you have! Lucky you to have had such a wonderful experience :-) Do you have any new pictures of your kids to share??

    Theresa A.