Sunday, October 17, 2010

Holy balls.

So yeah...had the big "switch up" of meds yesterday.

I dropped the Estrace to 2 tablets a day...no big deal (and, as a matter of fact, my nausea and headaches went away).

I started the Doxycycline, 2 pills a day....no big deal.

Then, I gave myself a shot of this:



I'm going to now call this PIO---which stands for Progesterone in Oil.

Had always given my Lupron shots in the leg--which was never a big deal.  Since I had the option of doing the Progesterone shots in the butt (well, right above the butt) or the leg, I chose leg.  I'd given shots there before, shouldn't be an issue, right?


WRONG.

I should have known something wasn't going to be as "nice" as the Lupron when I saw the needle:

Yeah, that puppy is a good inch and a half, if not more.

So, here is the process:

First, you have to draw up the meds into the syringe--okay, the "in oil" part should be a key--this stuff is THICK.  Like hair gel thick.  So, I used a 22 gauge needle to draw it up--then, I have to swap to a 25 gauge needed to administer the drug.

So, I read my directions one more time before I did it.  Sat on the foot of the bed, rubbed the spot with alcohol, let it dry, then inserted the needle.

This is where the "holy balls" comes in.  Yeah.  Ouch.  As I'm pushing it into my muscle, I can feel what I think is the needle hitting nerves.  So, I immediately feel like I'm going to throw up and start sweating.  Could I stop?  Uh, no--just had to run with it.  It sucked.

When you give this injection, you must draw up a bit on the syringe--if you see blood, that means you're in the wrong spot and just have to withdraw the needle a bit.  I, fortunately, did not see blood, so I gave myself the injection...and it took like 30 seconds.  Okay, that may not sound like a long time, but to me, it was an eternity.

As soon as I had that crap gone, I withdrew the needle and almost cried...because then my leg started to hurt really bad.  And it hurt all night.  Still hurts tonight, nearly 24 hours later.

So, a lovely person shared a link on YouTube for me on someone else giving themselves an PIO injection in the butt and I think I'm going to switch to the butt tonight.  My only fear is that I won't put it in the right spot...but I'm willing to take that chance than to have this leg thing happen again.


So, the family and I are headed up to our place in Door County for the week...we'll have the kids until Wednesday morning--then, my dad and step mother will be taking them and we'll head to the hospital for the transfer!  Then, I'm on bed rest for a few days.  I can't believe the transfer is in 3 days!!

I don't have very good Internet access up there, so I may not get an opportunity to update until the weekend...

Finally, something nice--I went to church today with the kids.  I don't go to church a whole lot because it's usually a pain with all 3 of the kids (and husband usually doesn't go because he's out driving limo until 4 in the morning the night before)...my step-mother asked if I would like to be prayed upon after the service--so with my dad, step mom, grandma and grandpa, I got a prayer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment