Friday, October 22, 2010

Transfer....complete!

Well, the big day has come and gone...what we've been waiting for since April is now in the past--and here's how it went down:

I decided to take this entire week off of work.  Partly due to the transfer and the fact that I knew I had to hang low afterwards, and partly because I needed a serious break from work.

So, we packed up the kids and went to our place in Door County on Monday (the 18th) morning.  We enjoyed our time with the kids and it felt good to be a mom, without having the stress of my job looming over me.

On Wednesday morning, my dad and step-mother picked up the kids in the motor home for some "camping" fun and my husband and I were on our way to the hospital. 

I was instructed to not eat or drink a whole lot before the procedure.

We got there at noon and both DH (dear husband) and I were given wrist band thingys.  I then got a blood draw (can't walk into that place without getting poked!) and were shown to the room where we'd be camped out for the next few hours.  It was pretty typical-but a little more "comfortable" than a normal exam room--maybe 'cause the lights dimmed.

I was instructed to drop trou and lay down on the table.  Nurse Sue (who was awesome, by the way) came in and administered a shot of something (can't remember the name)--it was a muscle relaxer and was awesome! LOL  I didn't get loopy, but just felt totally relaxed.  Oh, and the 20 minute massage I got after that didn't hurt, either :)

Shortly after my massage, the IP's (intended parents) came in.  Well, it's about time I shared their real names (they said I could)--Branden and Tracy.

After a briefing on what was going to happen, we were shown a pretty remarkable image on the TV screen--the embryo's:



Amazing, isn't it?

They have 8 blastocysts total and thawed 2 (because that's how many they planned on implanting) and both survived the thaw!! (that's really good--sometimes they don't survive the thaw).  They are all 5 days old.

After we got the info on the embryo's, we were ready to go.  I let Branden and Tracy stay in the room (they didn't see anything "down there").  Dr. Severino came in all scrubbed up and I assumed the position.  Yeah, that position.

I can't really explain what he did next, but I do remember him mentioning something about "cleaning my cervix"...after that was all done, we confirmed the embryo's once more (looked at the names) and the embryologist walked in with them in a really long tube like thing.  Dr. Severino then basically put them directly into my uterus--he waited about 30 seconds to make sure they would "float away" from the tube.

After that, the embryologist took the tube back to make sure there wasn't one stuck on there still-and there wasn't.  Then, we were done with the transfer!!

I had to lay back with my hips and legs elevated for 2 hours after--so all 4 of us just chatted and the time actually went by fast.

When that was done, Branden and Tracy had to leave, so they did--then Sue came back in and I was given my instructions for the next steps:

Bed rest for 3.5 days (Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat)---and it's pretty strict. Like, I can get up to pee and that's about it.  It's been tough, and I'm only half way through.

My pregesterone level on Wednesday was 11.8 and my estradiol was 203...the progesterone numbers should go up with each day-and they want the other number to be above 200.  I have to have lab work on Monday (25th) and then again on Friday (29th).  The Friday one will be the pregnancy test!!  If Friday is positive, then I have to go back the following Monday and Wednesday.

So much is going through my head right now.  I feel like every time I get up, I'm doing something wrong.  I just want this to "take" so bad and don't want to do anything to mess it up.

So, now we're in what's called the 2 week wait (2WW).  I'm planning to POAS (pee on a stick) maybe Monday...so keep your fingers crossed!!!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting!!!!!! I bet come Friday you'll officially be "knocked up"! :-) I'm looking forward to fun times with bed rest next month, lol. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat that you got a muscle relaxer and a massage! My rest afterwards was only 15 minutes; I don't know if I could have made it 2 hours, hehe! Good luck and can't wait to hear your POAS results!

    ReplyDelete