Thursday, March 10, 2011

I like sax.

Get your mind out of the gutter.

Okay, I like that too...

But I'm here to talk about sax--saxophone.  I play one. 

I took up piano when I was about 6 and caught on pretty quick.  A couple years later, I started playing flute (my mom kept telling me she wanted me to be like Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull--only took me about 10 years to figure out who that was...and how awesome he is).  Anyway, I played both piano and flute all through elementary school and middle school.

The first day of high school band my freshman year, Mr. S asked if there was anyone in the band that wanted to switch instruments.  My hand was the first to go up. Not that I didn't like flute, but I was a person of adventure.  I had no idea what he was going to ask me to play--he led me over to this massively huge case and opened it and I saw something like this:


A beautiful Yamaha baritone saxophone.

The next day, I was playing it in band. Took me 30 seconds to figure the thing out.

And I rocked it.  I loved that thing.

I played it in concert band, I played it in jazz band.  I played it in German band (side note:  the High School I went to has the only high school German Band in the Country)

I even marched with it.  Did the 4-mile German Fest Parade in Chicago.  Proof:
 


Don't be knockin' the garb. 

My sophomore year in high school I transitioned to the tenor sax.  It was MUCH lighter.

Here I am doing a solo at a concert:



And I dabbled in the soprano as well:


I played soprano sax only as often as I HAD to.  Remember this post?  Yeah, I'm as big of a fan as Kenny G as I am of poking my eyeballs with a ballpoint pen.

Going into my junior year, I transitioned yet again to the alto sax and that's what I play now.  I got a pretty shiny brand new one that year and that's the one I still play today.  Of course I don't have a picture of me playing it.  Doh.

I still play as often as I can.  I'm in a municipal band in the summers and jam out on my own every now and again.

Yes, I went to band camp.

Yes, I like sax.

3 comments:

  1. I'm still workin' on trying to get my mind out of the gutter!! :-) I love all of these posts! Allows me to get to know you better! You are such a great writer, Jesse! *jealous*

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... and one time, at band camp..." lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blast from the past pictures too. I've only heard you play once. I'm making you play it again sometime.

    ReplyDelete