Monday, May 16, 2011

Ouch and yikes.

2 things happened this weekend and neither were much fun.

First of all, I'll preface this by saying I'm in this purging mood.  Big time.  Like, so much as "let's get a dumpster" kind of purge.  And cleaning.  I like to think it's because I'm that way all the time, but to be honest, I think I'm this way right now because I have two awesome men I've never met coming to my home in a couple weeks and I want everything to be perfect...and neat...and clean.

Our kitchen has ceilings that are about 14 feet high.  And normally in a kitchen, there are lights on the ceiling, some of which the bulbs need to be changed on some frequent basis.  I've had 3 bulbs out for what seems like eternity and decided I'd take matters into my own hands and change the dang light bulbs.  Can't rely on the hubby for such mundane tasks, right?  Normally changing a light bulb isn't much work, but these are annoying.  And high.

This is kinda what they look like, if you're curious. Kinda.:

So I get to the top of the ladder, shift myself so I can somewhat contort my body to be able to use both hands to get that damn bulb out of it's holder thing and change it.

All was good. Until about an hour later.

And then I could barely walk. 

I think in my heroic attempt to shine some light in my kitchen, I messed up my lower back.

I was pretty much down for the count for the rest of the weekend.  It's still painful, but not nearly as bad.

That was the "ouch".

As for the "yikes", let's just say if you need a Heimlich maneuver anytime soon, I'm your girl.  I had to perform it on my daughter on Saturday.  And I think I'm still shaking.

I never had trouble with my other kids, but this one (London) puts gosh darn near everything in her mouth.  I thought we were pretty much over that phase, less the occasional mouthful of sand from the sandbox, but I was wrong.  As I was sitting at my computer doing some work on Saturday (after the light bulb incident), she walked into our office and couldn't breathe.  People, I can't even explain how scary this was.  Never do I wish that feeling upon anyone.  Ever.

So, call it motherly instinct or "hey, someones choking" instinct, I knew exactly what I needed to do--and did it.  I've never performed the Heimlich on anyone in my life, nor do I ever want to again, but I did it and it worked beautifully.  Within about 8 seconds (the LONGEST 8 seconds of my life), out came a penny, a dime and quarter.

After we both settled down a bit, I just held her as tight as I could.  Even for a good hour after it happened, my heart was still beating fast and I was shaking.

Scariest I've ever been.

Of course within 3 minutes after it happened, she was back to her normal self like nothing ever happened.

So, that was my weekend.  Hope yours was better!

PS-in surro news, we have the contract completed!! Now we just sign and we're good to go!  It was actually pretty easy--the contract was actually much different than the one I had with B & T, but the over 30 pages has everything it needs to and more.  As I eluded to earlier, T & H are coming in early June!  So excited to meet them in person! 

7 comments:

  1. that is so scary...and for all of those things to come out of her mouth..she was busy! LOL So so glad she was ok and i can't imagine having to do that to my daughter!!!! Can't wait for you to meet your guys in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man! I had pieced it together differently yesterday! I thought you threw your back out GIVING London the Heimlich. And I also thought she had only swallowed a quarter...not 36 cents!! Good Lord, girl...I hope you had a glass of wine after all that (or maybe a shot or six of tequila!) Lol! Glad everyone is ok and feeling better. Continue to take it easy on the back...the housework can wait a few days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm so glad she's okay! (I guess I need to go to Red Cross & take some classes just in case!) And I hope ur back gets to feeling better soon. No more ladders for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! You even have to hide spare change? Our house is a DEATHTRAP. Holy crap!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are AMAZING! Thank God you were able to hold it together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! That's some scary stuff. These kids sure keep their Mammas on their toes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! How awful! Thank goodness she figured out she needed to come get help. I am so thankful that she is okay.

    ReplyDelete