Sunday, June 12, 2011

Highway Love

So as I'm stuck in this little world of "hurry up and wait" (which happens a lot in a surrogacy), I thought I'd tell you a little story about how I met my husband.

This story is slightly better when I'm physically telling it (because there are some hand motions that go along with it), but I'll do my best.

Grab a cup of coffee, have a seat and enjoy!

It was August 1999.  I had just finished 2 years at Lakeland College (Picture a cornfield.  Then picture a bunch of buildings right in the middle of the cornfield.  That's Lakeland.)  Though I lived on campus, the school was only about 20 minutes from my house--so I decided to take a leap into something bigger and better (and farther away).  I applied, was accepted and enrolled at Auburn University (in Alabama).

Big jump.

2 weeks before I was to leave to move to Alabama, I decided to go roller skating one last time (if you remember, I used to be a DJ at a roller rink and I rocked the skating part).  So, I hopped in my Geo Storm (license plate was "DJ JESS") and headed down the highway to the nearest open roller rink (a good 40 miles away).

I had gotten all "cuted up" for the rink and was feelin' pretty good.  Jammin' out to Journey's Greatest Hits in my car, I looked in my rear view mirror and I saw a big white limo coming up behind me, in the left lane (I was in the right).  My first thought was "hmmm...I wonder if it's someone famous". 

Is my hair good?  Check.  Lip Gloss?  Check.  I was ready to be as cute as I could be for whoever was riding in that limo.

As the limo pulled up on my left, I looked over.  The driver was looking my way, making some weird hand gesture toward me (like he was doing the motions to "The Wheels on the Bus" song).  I smiled, laughed a little and let him pass (turning my head again to see if I could see anyone in the back).

He passed me, then came in my lane so he was ahead of me.  Then he slowed down.

Hmmmm....I guess I need to pass him (giggle, giggle).  So, I did.

When I did, I looked over to the limo again (by this time I determined that if there was anyone in the back, I wouldn't be able to see because of the window tint).  When I looked over, the driver was doing that thing again with his hands. I laughed again and at that point noticed just how cute this guy was, especially since he was wearing a tuxedo.

So, I passed him, got in front of him and slowed down.  You get the picture, right?  I like to call it "highway tag".

Now, I wouldn't normally do what I did next, but for some reason I decided to throw any sense of safety out the window.  I pulled out the Sharpie marker I had in the car (only God knows why I had a Sharpie handy) and grabbed an envelope that was laying on the seat--and I wrote my phone number down on it. 

I know.  I know.

I held that paper up to my window as the limo was passing me and I saw the driver frantically looking for a writing utensil.  He found one and proceeded to copy my number down onto whatever paper he had.  I then looked at my paper and realized I had put my mom's phone number down (this was before I had a cell phone).  "Crap" I remember saying to myself.  "Who's he gonna ask for--the chick driving the Geo?"  So, I frantically wrote my name down on the paper, held it up to my window again and told him to look at that.  He did, looked surprised and did this odd motion and I thought I saw him mouthing the words "me too".

So, he shuffled around a bit and pulled out a business card and held it up to show me.

Um, yeah.  I'm supposed to read a type 8 font size from where you're sitting in your car (still driving, mind you).

So, I motioned for this guy to get off at the next exit.

I know.  I know.

He slowed down and got behind me.  I looked up and realized we had about 10 cars behind us--didn't quite notice we were holding up traffic by our little flirt fest!

There was an exit coming up ahead, so I decided to pull off there.  I frantically looked for a public place (though he was pretty hot, this driver could have been a psycho for all I knew).  Right off the exit there was a Hardees-whew.

So, I pulled into the parking lot and the limo pulled in behind me.

We both got out of our cars and the first thing I asked was what he was trying to tell me with the "me too" thing--and of course he was trying to tell me his name was Jesse too.  My next question was if he had anyone in the back--and he didn't.

We went into Hardees and I exaggerate none when I tell you we sat there for 3 hours.  We talked....and talked....and talked.

And I knew about 20 minutes into our conversation that this was gonna be something special.

Here we are today, celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary this year with 3 beautiful children.

I'll leave you guessing on whether I moved to Alabama or not. :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! What a cool story!!! I have a huge smile plastered on my face and tears at the corners of my eyes!!! Crazy how love works, huh????

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing story! It's so unbelievable how things work out sometimes. Pretty cool that you both have the same name too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, that's a sweet story! Congrats on 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story, so cute and sweet. Congrats on 10 years..that is awesome!!!!

    Charity

    ReplyDelete