Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Don't Quit Before the Blessing


"Press on. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Ray Kroc

A few years ago, I attended a seminar at the Wisconsin Association of Health Underwriters conference (sounds really exciting, doesn't it??).  Usually I sign up for the seminars because I need the continuing ed credits, not because I'm horribly interested in what the person is talking about.  (hey, I'm honest)

And, like many of the other people that sit through these things with me, my head is usually down at just the right position that I can kinda look like I'm listening but really I'm more in tune to what's going on on my cell phone.

But there's one seminar I attended that I will never forget. 

It had nothing to do with insurance or politics or money.  It was about life.

The speaker was Byrd Baggett.  He was amazing.  Truly.  If any of you are in charge of hiring speakers for your organization, get him. 

I signed up for his weekly e-mails and just got one this morning and I wanted to share:

Most of us have wanted to give up at some time in life. Job pressures, marital problems and personal tragedies are a part of life. It's easy to read that "Tough times don't last but tough people do", but quotes don't help when we are trapped in the valleys of life.

Throughout your life, perhaps you'll remember this story of one of our people:


• He failed in business in '31.
• He was defeated for state legislator in '32.
• He tried another business in '33. It failed.
• His fiancée died in '35.
• He had a nervous breakdown in '36.
• In '43 he ran for Congress and was defeated.
• He tried again in '48 and was defeated again.
• He tried running for the Senate in '55. He lost.
• The next year he ran for Vice President and lost.
• In '58 he ran for the Senate again and was defeated again.
• Finally, in 1860, Abraham Lincoln was elected the 16th president of the United States.


Failure is only absolute when you give up. I know of no one who hasn't been knocked down by life. The question is, do you give up or get up?


In closing, I would like to share three steps to living a life of significance:


1. Get passionately engaged in something greater than self.
2. Commit to the simple acts of daily discipline required to achieve your goals.
3. Don't quit before the blessing!


I just love this message.  Hope you like it also. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love this message! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! What a great thing to share!

    ReplyDelete