Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hi Alex Trebek, mind if I sit with you?

4 years ago I was in the waiting room of an ICU unit waiting to hear if my mom was alive.

Yesterday we celebrated her 63rd birthday.

Someday I’d like to do a post about what happened, how we dealt, etc…but today I would like to skip over all that and tell you about her. My mom. And the lovely night we had last night.

I’m an only child. I do have step-siblings, but between my mom and dad, I was it. (I like to think they stopped at perfection….bwahahahaha)

Growing up, my mom was my best friend. She still is. She was the “cool” mom that everyone wanted. My house was the place of choice to hang out. She went to every ballet recital and band concert I had. No matter how good or bad I did, she loved me just the same. She spoiled the bejesus out of me. I want to be the kind of mom she was to me.

My mom is smart, too. Like freaky smart. She’d do the Wall Street Journal crossword puzzle during her morning break at work. She had a dictionary in every room of the house-and used them. Frequently. Not because she couldn’t spell--because she liked words.

Growing up, we didn’t typically eat our meals at the dining room table. We ate in front of the TV. (gasp!) We watched Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Every night. It was my mom’s “thing” and my step-dad and I just ran with it. We’d bet a quarter for each right answer on Jeopardy and whoever guessed the “Wheel” puzzle first. No, none of us ever cashed in, but I’m guessing I’m out about $6,390, all owed to my mom.

Last night my step-dad graciously brought my mom over for dinner and to celebrate her birthday. We enjoyed a lovely meal outside, talking about life, enjoying the company. After dinner she asked me what time it was. I said it was about 5:45. Her eyes lit up and she asked “can we go watch Jeopardy?”.

So, with the help of all of us, we got her wheelchair into the house and propped her up right in front of the TV. We enjoyed her most favorite dessert (strawberry sundaes) as we all watched Jeopardy.

We talked about heaven and what it would be like for each of us. Here’s mom’s heaven: She would get into the lunch buffet line in heaven that was cooked by Ina Garten. She’d load up on Ina’s most popular dishes and get a side of salt & vinegar potato chips and a Diet Mountain Dew to drink. She’d look around the lunch room, find a gentleman eating his lunch quietly and ask him “Hi Alex Trebek, mind if I sit with you?” That’s my mom’s heaven--eating lunch with Alex Trebek, having a “question” for every “answer”.

Here's me and momma, last night.  B-day number 63 for her.


And yes, mom won again at Jeopardy last night. I owe her another $4.25.

7 comments:

  1. This is simply awesome. Simply awesome. You're an amazing story teller, Jesse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the PP! WONDERFUL story! I couldn't stop reading if I wanted to.. I want your Mom to be my Mom!! I hope Mom had an amazing day! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post!! My mom and me are and have been best friends too so I totally get that....love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post Jesse, left me with little bity tears (happy ones).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post!! You and your mom look so much alike! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww <3 I have a few (happy) tears in my eyes. Your moms seems wonderful and you are so very lucky to have her (but I'm sure you already know that). Beautiful post. I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say this had me crying, too. Very, very sweet. I hope you share it with her.

    ReplyDelete