Monday, January 30, 2012

Zimmerama

My maiden name was Zimmerman.

Since I can remember, we have had a family reunion at least once a year (sometimes twice) and the festival of family fun is so appropriately called "Zimmerama".

And I love it.

My family kind of kicks ass.  All of them.  Even "druncle" Mark. 

This past weekend we enjoyed another fun filled Zimmerama.  Included in the fun is always a "white elephant" gift exchange--basically people bring any crap they find at home or at thrift stores or wherever....then, everyone has to open one gift (in numeric order) in front of everyone, one at a time.  If it's clothing, you have to model it.  If you don't like your gift, you can exchange with someone else that has already opened theirs.

It's hilarious.

This year I ended up with a Spin the Bottle pin:


It could be fun. :)

Now, the best part about Zimmerama is this:


Yes, my friends, that is a genuine can of horsemeat.  Gross?  Yes.  Funny?  Uh, yeah.  This can has been circled back into our gift exchange for YEARS.  I mean, going back to when I was a little kid.  Every single year it comes back and seriously, if you end up getting the can of horsemeat, you've essentially "won" the white elephant exchange.  You nearly get a standing ovation.

And what's really funny is typically whoever wins it, doesn't exchange it.  It's like a Zimmerama trophy. 

And so freakin' funny.

5 comments:

  1. Ok so I just looked closely and it's dog food! I was freaking out thinking that this was for humans. But not so sure I'm happy that dogs are eating horses. HOWEVER, I love your family already...such a classic tradition and something to laugh about for years to come!! Think we might start our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! (ok, not the horsemeat - that's disturbing. but the family tradition!) One side of my parents' family's also has a family reunion - going on over 100 years, but it's B-O-R-I-N-G. We need for some of the young people to inject some kooky fun into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you happen to know who was the original person to bring it? I love family fun like that. Everyone needs a bit of it in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zimmerama sounds like lots of fun! I can't even imagine a whole group of people who are even a little bit as cool as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait no mention of picking up a paper bag (no hands) off the floor by using just your mouth? Or did you and the little ones head to bed before that fun began? This pregnant women won and that's not even what I most proud of...my Dad didn't get hurt staying in until the final 6! ;)

    ReplyDelete