Monday, April 9, 2012

MY House...it's a steal! (But the bell is missing.)

Some of you may remember the post I did some time ago about my childhood home.  You can read it here if you'd like (gives you a little background on what I'm about to post about).


So I was browsing through the local newspaper on Thursday evening and just as I was about to close it up and throw it away, my eye caught something very familiar in the realty section.


A photo of my childhood home.


It's on the market.


I didn't know what to think.  Should I cry?  Be happy?  Be upset?  Buy it?  Call Century 21 and prank them?


The newspaper was pretty vague--an outside photo and very brief description.


And the price?  $69,900.


Okay, I know the market is kind of crappy right now, but that seems awfully low to me.  My memories of that house are worth MUCH more than that.


Yes, it needs some work.  The asbestos in that house is probably the highest on the block.  There's a room that's missing a hunk of drywall and the "wood burning fireplace" that they advertised in the ad hasn't worked since I was 2 (something to do with having to replace the chimney).


But still.  It's a big house and totally liveable.  And it's MY house.


If I had $70K laying around for fun, I'd buy it.  Not sure what I'd do with it, but at least no one else could have it.  I don't mean that in a mean way.  I mean that in a "I don't want anyone else to live there" kind of way.  I came home from the hospital to that home.  I lost my first tooth there.  Got dressed for prom, had my bridesmaids sleep there the night before my wedding and saw my son pull himself up for the first time there.  I don't want anyone to trump my memories in that house.


But I don't have that kind of money.  With some deep breathing exercises and understanding that it's JUST A HOUSE, I will overcome my emotions and move on.  I will. Just give me a minute.
So if you're interested in moving to Plymouth, Wisconsin, here is the Zillow listing for it.  Plymouth is a great place to live.  You'd like it a lot. 
 But be warned--the bell on the front lawn that was holding the house numbers is missing. 

Who knows where that ended up....(as I snicker a bit)



For more info on the bell (which involves some pilfering), click here. 

2 comments:

  1. That's a very cool bell! I would have stolen it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has the bell been installed in your front yard yet?

    Guess I'll find out in 10 days. OMG.

    ReplyDelete