Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Routine Check Up. I'm fluffy and I need to chill.

So I'm exactly 33 weeks today (my normal weekly blog-post updates are done a few days after the fact, in case you were freaking out over the timing aspect—cause sometimes I do freak out about the timing aspect…because I’m weird like that).

I went to the doc today for a normal prenatal visit and it wasn't the perfect appointment I thought it would be.

As I was sitting in the waiting room, I decided to have a contraction (a nice one) right as nurse Paula called my name. I literally had to do one of those hold your hand up and wait a minute moves on her.

So, I explained my contraction concerns to Paula as she weighed me. I hate scales, just so you know.  Especially while pregnant.  Pregnant women gain wait.  Every week.  It blows.

As I sat down on the table for her to check my BP, she noted my fat feet. No, she didn’t call my feet fat, but said I looked swollen. Ah, lovely. Other people notice.  So I explained my concerns about that too.

(Side note regarding my feet: I can’t wear anything but flip-flops. Cute sandals are out for me. Totally. It’s actually getting to a point of being slightly painful to walk because they’re so not the size they should be. I was driving in the car with Jesse today and he asked if I could put my feet in front of me as an added precaution—an extra air bag. Punk.)

Back to the appointment….

My blood pressure was great. Jáchym sounded wonderful (154 BPM) and he was moving all over the place as we listened.  I swear he was trying to kick the doppler again.

Nurse Paula said in light of my contractions I have been having, she wanted Dr. D to check my cervix, just to be on the safe side. I kind of made a sigh of relief. Had she not offered it, I would have asked for him to check me. There’s nothing better than getting your cervix checked, just sayin’…

(that was me being sarcastic, in case you didn’t catch that)

So, the doc came in, did a fundal height (I forgot to ask what it was) and checked ye ‘ole cervix. My shop is closed up tight, thank goodness. All is good, not dilating!

I discussed my swollenness concerns with Dr. D and he, too, is concerned. He said I looked “fluffy”. Uh, thanks. Just what I wanted to hear. Of course we all know that swollen anything on a 33 week preggo can be a sign of preeclampsia, something I’ve never experienced. But, in light of the fact that my BP and urine are a-okay, the concern isn’t TOO huge. It’s there, but not alarming.

He didn't put me on true bed-rest, but just told me I need to chill out. I need to stop trying to do everything. I need to relax. Of course I am going to do everything I need to do to keep this baby happy and healthy and baking a few more weeks, but I’m not going to lie--it's going to be tough. I'm not a chiller outer.

Normally I would go back to the doc in 2 weeks, but he wants to see me next week, just to assess how things are going.

As soon as I got home (and put my feet up), I e-mailed Tomas and Honza to give them an update. Literally not 3 minutes after I hit “send”, my phone rang. It was Tomas calling from Prague. I was thoroughly touched. He and Honza wanted to be sure I was okay. They’re the sweetest guys and it was awesome to hear their voices. I can’t wait to actually see them again!

I made a promise to Tomas and Honza that I will do nothing but follow doctors’ orders. So, that is my plan. I am going to chill. I am going to allow people to help me. I am going to take the best care of myself that I can to ensure that little Jáchym hangs out right where he’s at for a good more amount of time.

Today, I am officially a chiller outer.

4 comments:

  1. And tomorrow you will be a total chiller outer...and the next day. And the next day. Catch my drift? Surely you haven't forgotten my threat?!

    P.S. I'm totally gonna call you out on the cervix check. "Oh Dr. D...the contractions....they're soooo bad......maybe....just maybe I need a cervix check?" *She says as she bats her lashes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, yeah, TOTALLY become a chiller outer! Don't make me make a road trip! Should I send you a bell to ring from the couch! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg Jeni I might have just peed myself. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a medical interpreter I decided to look up fundal height because I had no idea what it was either and, because the world works this way, I'll probably have it come up in an appointment in the next month so it would be good to know. In case you haven't looked it up yet, Jesse, Wikipedia says it is this...

    Fundal height, or McDonald's rule, is a measure of the size of the uterus used to assess fetal growth and development. It is measured from the top of the mother's uterus to the top of the mother's pubic bone in centimeters. It should match the fetus' gestational age in weeks within 1 to 3 cm, e.g., a pregnant woman's uterus at 26 weeks should measure 23 to 29 cm. This is valid from 24 weeks. Most caregivers will record their patient's fundal height on every prenatal visit. Measuring the fundal height can be an indicator of proper fetal growth and amniotic fluid development.


    So basically it's measuring your belly.

    ReplyDelete